WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

status of case managers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianawaiverneedshelp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: future of CMGT Reply with quote

IPMG formed their "club" last year after their split from ICPCM. Not sure what the issues were that caused the split. However, there were several parties in this group that were saying they had the contract long before the RFS was ever posted, which makes one wonder how fair the bidding process actually was. What's even stranger is that the State would give it to the same people that were mostly responsible for causing the CM system to fail due to their own greed.

From what I've been hearing (rumors from CMs within IPMG), unless you were invited to join their "club" you will basically be out as a CM when this contract goes into effect which is sometime after July, 1.

This is a nightmare for all involved. Not sure what to tell the consumers or families at this point. There won't be much left in the way of choice as many highly-qualified, great CMs are contemplating getting out of the system all together, as it has become one big popularity contest, that makes one question the ethics of everyone involved.
Allen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have information about the press conference-- the time and where it will be held?
thanks.
noplacelikehome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossroads Rehabilitation Center (Indianapolis) in the 5th floor conference room at noon.
noplacelikehome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press conference has been changed to 1:30 p.m. Indianapolis time.
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: IPMG Reply with quote

Well, now we know...or at least we know a little. I am appalled at the statement by Mitch Roob," We're going to do this with fewer people working more hours'!!!!!! Holy cow, I thought I put in a full day the way it is. Do I really want to work longer hours with more clients? I have 32 people I work for right now! People receiving services will be lucky to talk or see a Case manager once every 90 days.
On Tuesday, April 4th, a new quarterly policy was issued by FSSA, and it describes all the changes to policy. If you are a person who receives services, see if your CM will get you a copy.
As for me....I am hanging on a thread. Do I really want to apply to this new company that is going to work us even harder than we work now? This new company, IPMG, will be paid $15 MILLION a year or $30,000,000 for a two year contract. THIRTY MILLION! I don't know about other Case Managers, but I make just over $20,000. Hummm...lots of dollars laying around out there for someone to pick up.
Concerning hearings...a BDDS Service Coordinator told me, on the side, that most of them are denied with out a suggestion of review.
Please remember to VOTE in the next election. Our man Mitch needs to hear how you feel. Alone, we may be a small voice. Together, we can roar!
watchingandwaiting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: status of case managers Reply with quote

$15,000,000 divided by 9100 consumers is only $1648 a year or $137.36 a month per consumer that isn't alot of money lying around. I'm glad it was an Indiana company that won the bid. Everything else has gone out of state.
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with whoever said that the new company are made up people that first created ICPCM...then made $$$ by using each other to come up with training that had to be paid for by other CM companies. I hope there is SOMEBODY Out there that files a class action suit. How is it possible that the clients, or families have no choice in this. I have already had three emotional phone calls from Mothers. Now, I am NOT beeping my own horn, here, but she wants me to stay as Case Manager. I was honest with her, and said that may not be possible. I am outraged that clients will be force fed this new company. Talk about conflict of interest!!!
I think Indianawavierneedshelp, was right....the people that split from ICPCM were in bed, politically speaking, with the state. I guess they smelled the money very early in the process. I heard, also, that they knew they had gotten the contract way ahead of anyone else.
Anybody want to join me a McBurgers? I hear they have a meal allowance, pretty good insurance, and I don't have to complete those PCP's. What a waste of the $15,000,000 the state paid for. Something smells in Indianapolis!!!
qualitycounts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with watchingandwaiting. Do the math, $15M / 9100 consumers = $137.36/month/consumer. $15M sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but no one is going to be able to get rich off this contract. Plus, they promised benefits like health insurance, and case managers won't have to pay self-employment taxes anymore. "watchingandwaiting" seems to be more prudent than"jumpingtoconclusions"
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I work for at this time offers insurance. But..so does McBurgers. Paid time off, too! I still refer back to a quote from the Indianapolis Star from Mitch Roob, FSSA Secretary, " We're going to do this with fewer people working longer hours, we want to professionalize this."
oK...I am already working full time, and more. I have a good working relationship with all the BDDS people, and the people I work for on the wavier. I am a professional. I just feel that it is wrong to take away the choice that people with Developmental Disabilities and their familles have. When a single company is all that is available, there is no check and balance. If someone is unhappy with the policy and procedures of IPMG...there is no other company to go to. There is no choice. There is no pick list.
Competition is a very health thing! It's the way of the world. If McBurgers was the only hamburger place in town...everyone would have to be happy with dry burgers with no tomato and lettuce. But....if Burger Queen moves in across the street and offers a deluxe, bigger, burger for a cheaper price, the customers would go to them. It's all about options and choices. NOT about being the only business in this vast, waiver waste land. I am angry about the choice being taken away. You might..MIGHT..have an option of a different CM, but they will work for the same company. So, your burger won't get better...you just will have a different McBurger waitress. ARG!!
involvedparent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: IPMG Reply with quote

[lucky to talk or see a Case manager once every 90 days.
On Tuesday, April 4th, a new quarterly policy was issued by FSSA, and it describes all the changes to policy. If you are a person who receives services, see if your CM will get you a copy.

Where can I find a copy of this new quarterly policy??
Thanks for your post!
rkf64

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: $15M contract Reply with quote

It appears the $15M is to run the IPMG business which does not include the dollars associated with the services that is a totally different pot of money. So, if you take $15M and do the math the big dogs could and most like continue to recieve their high dollar pay checks while we as ongoing CM run around to do the work to get the bosses rich. Great business model uh?
I will continue to be proactive as that is what I feel in my heart I must do for my consumers and their families.
I only hope that this new business will be an ethical run business. Not sure how all of these companies and the folks who run them can all come to an aggreeable conclusion on many issues associated with running a business successfully. I bet once things start the same players who are running the show wont all be running the show when push comes to shove. Don't step on my toes!
More hours less CM! What a marvel idea Mr. Robb! Since I am already available 24/7 how many more hours can I put in? Day light Savings time doesn't give me more hours in a 24 hour day! Mr. Robb doesn't even know what the role of the CM is, nor does he know what the job description truly resembles, nor does he have any idea who the folks are that we truly serve.
I also am appauled by the comment that Mr. ACR big cheif stated about he knew a consumer that has had 4 or 5 CM in a very short period of time. Perhaps that was because the CM who were working truly didn't want to work. I have had the same caseload for over 4 years and now I have heard that keeping the same caseload may not be possible. Why is IPMG paying MILEAGE at the federal rate?
So many questions with NO ONE to go to for any answers! We or IPMG has to start talking soon! If FSSA doesn't allow for consumers and families to understand their next steps then this could just blow up in our states face which could truly jeopardise so many consumers health and safety! Which I thought health and safety was of utmost importance....maybe not since we all have to increase our caseloads, work more hours, and continue to do some of the most stupidest paperwork that was ever created by some of the most worthless leaders in US HISTORY!

noplacelikehome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the quarterly policy bulletin.

DDRS%20Quarterly%20Policy%20Bulletin%203%20(2Q06)%5B1%5D.pdf
 Description:
DDRS Quarterly Policy Bulletin 2Q06

Download
 Filename:  DDRS%20Quarterly%20Policy%20Bulletin%203%20(2Q06)%5B1%5D.pdf
 Filesize:  283.96 KB
 Downloaded:  1360 Time(s)

Nancy Swaim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: CM Changes Reply with quote

I hope families and consumers will communicate with the State about the importance of having information. I am sure that Secretary Roob has not had the time to gain an understanding of the role that case managers have in the lives of people who get waiver services. Part of the reason is that the case management role varies from person to person, and sometimes this is a good thing! If you ask 10 people to define case management you will probably get 10 different answers.

Regardless of complaints now, there will likely be as many complaints under the new system. Rotating case managers does take place but this is infrequent. The no-show case manager does happen now, but that is rare. The important thing is for consumers and families to communicate the actions they truly need from their case manager and to be clear about this as the transition takes place.

Choice is a key part of home and community based services. IPMG and the State are keenly aware of this and I think we will have to assume all parties will make a good-faith effort to assure that consumers and families will keep their case managers. We all may need to be creative about how to assure as many options in this area as possible.

Having no information makes for a lot of guesswork and leads to misinformation. Hopefully Secretary Roob will understand this and ask IPMG to get operational information out asap. The $15 million contract is right at the same amount of money that is in case management now. There should be enough to reimburse case management at a similar level as is done now.....if one could figure that out. Few case managers have salaries, some have benefits, some work as contractors. For each it will be hard to compare current earnings package with the new earnings package to be put into place by IPMG.

I am not part of IPMG and I will not be doing case management when the final transition takes place. If we assume the worse, then the worse will surely happen. I think each of us, concerned with the well-being of people with disabilities, need to find as many avenues of communication as possible with all the stakeholders who have a role with or on behalf of consumers.

We need to communicate about what is real, not what might be. I don't know that case managers will be limited to serving one county. I don't know that case managers will be reimbursed mileage at the federal rate. I don't know that case managers will have 45 or 50 people on their caseload. I do know that IPMG has been asked to negotiate a contract with the State to provide consolidated case management. Once the contract is negotiated it goes through a signature process that, after IPMG signs, will most likely be signed by all others up the line. At this point, after the contract is negotiated and IPMG signs, then it would seem reasonable to encourage IPMG to share information with consumers, families and case managers
rkf64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CM Changes Reply with quote

Nancy Swaim wrote:
I hope families and consumers will communicate with the State about the importance of having information. I am sure that Secretary Roob has not had the time to gain an understanding of the role that case managers have in the lives of people who get waiver services. Part of the reason is that the case management role varies from person to person, and sometimes this is a good thing! If you ask 10 people to define case management you will probably get 10 different answers.

Regardless of complaints now, there will likely be as many complaints under the new system. Rotating case managers does take place but this is infrequent. The no-show case manager does happen now, but that is rare. The important thing is for consumers and families to communicate the actions they truly need from their case manager and to be clear about this as the transition takes place.

Choice is a key part of home and community based services. IPMG and the State are keenly aware of this and I think we will have to assume all parties will make a good-faith effort to assure that consumers and families will keep their case managers. We all may need to be creative about how to assure as many options in this area as possible.

Having no information makes for a lot of guesswork and leads to misinformation. Hopefully Secretary Roob will understand this and ask IPMG to get operational information out asap. The $15 million contract is right at the same amount of money that is in case management now. There should be enough to reimburse case management at a similar level as is done now.....if one could figure that out. Few case managers have salaries, some have benefits, some work as contractors. For each it will be hard to compare current earnings package with the new earnings package to be put into place by IPMG.

I am not part of IPMG and I will not be doing case management when the final transition takes place. If we assume the worse, then the worse will surely happen. I think each of us, concerned with the well-being of people with disabilities, need to find as many avenues of communication as possible with all the stakeholders who have a role with or on behalf of consumers.

We need to communicate about what is real, not what might be. I don't know that case managers will be limited to serving one county. I don't know that case managers will be reimbursed mileage at the federal rate. I don't know that case managers will have 45 or 50 people on their caseload. I do know that IPMG has been asked to negotiate a contract with the State to provide consolidated case management. Once the contract is negotiated it goes through a signature process that, after IPMG signs, will most likely be signed by all others up the line. At this point, after the contract is negotiated and IPMG signs, then it would seem reasonable to encourage IPMG to share information with consumers, families and case managers

watchingandwaiting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFK where are you getting that information about the 15million
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: