WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE!! enlighten me!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
involvedparent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: PLEASE!! enlighten me!! Reply with quote

I am concerned about the changes that is currently going on with our case manager for my son. There has been a recent turnover, which is the second one in just a few months. Apparently, there are some major changes going on. Does someone have the time to enlighten me? This information would be very helpful in choosing a new case manager.
Fredrica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a case manager and can only speak for myself and my own experience. The rates for CM services were cut nearly in half. This caused many independent CMs to either drastically cut their overhead or take on many more cases or both. It may have cause them to just fold and give up and transfer their causes to other CMs. With CM agencies essentially the same things have occurred - cutting overhead, reducing pay or benefits, eliminating CMs with small caseloads, restructuring, etc..
Sounds like you are with an agency and probably that has what has occurred - CMs resigned or let go or reassigned to maximize caseload for salary or geography purposes. When you chose a CM you are chosing an independent CM or an agency. Within an agency then the CM assigned to your case may change. Obviously we do not want this to happen but it does more often than it should. Bottom line is that probably long-term there will be fewer case managers with higher caseloads and less time to spend on quality community supports per each person on his or her caseload. If I were advising you about chosing I would encourage you to look at the ARC website - I think they have questions for families to use when interviewing. Ask about geographic location of the CM to you, caseload size, level of experience, etc. and be clear as to what your expectations are. Do you want weekly phone calls? Monthly visits? Are just quarterly meetings enough unless there is an issue or emergency? Hope this helps.
WaiverWatch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Fredrica--thank you for your post.

InvolvedParent, have you read through the "Changes to the Indiana State Medicaid program" in the "Latest News" section of the board? If not, you may want to get up to speed on the major changes to the Annual Plan, and see how those changes have affected case management.

Please feel free to post more specific questions, or email them privately and we'll try our best to get them answered for you.

-WW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: