WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scared

View previous topic :: View next topic  
macnchez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Scared Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been on the DD waiver for several years now. I depend on Residential Habilitation and Targeted Case Management, among other services to assist me in accessing my home and community. I am extremely concerned about changes to the waiver. I want to learn as much as I can about the changes and I hope to find some suggestions as to how to proceed from here. Thanks!
-macnchez
WaiverWatch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, macnchez! Thanks for visiting the WaiverWatch forums.

We share your concerns regarding the recently announced and soon-to-be implemented changes to the waiver program.

If you're unfamiliar with these changes, please visit our "Latest News" forum. There you'll find an overview along with related documents detailing the program revisions.

From there jump to Action!, where you can find out what others are doing to save their services and improve the waiver program. Then use the contact info in the Resources section to get in touch with Medicaid program administrators and your legislators--and make things happen!

Again, welcome. We hope you find these forums useful and that you'll become an active participant. Please tell your friends in the disability community about WaiverWatch.org--thanks!
Provider1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchez,

Please try not to panic. Yes things are changing, however, if things stayed the same, I guarantee that in five years or less there would be no more waiver program left for anyone. There are over 12,000 people right now waiting to get what you already have. I agree that it is scary to think that you might be losing some hours that you traditionally had. But unless your services were extremely high cost, you will at worst be recieving what you received last year from July 1 2004 to June 30, 2005. This means that what the state paid to provide services to you during this time is what the state is willing to pay this year for the same services. Now you have to realize that if the plan of care during this time called for 200 hours per month, the daily rate may only allow for 190 hours per month. However, you still have services. Your case manager and the rest of the people on your team and you will have to decide how to best use the hours that you have available. The state is not trying to take anything away from you, but if there aren't some cuts in some places, there will be nothing left in the short term future. Isn't giving up a little now better then having nothing in 3 to 5 years?

Nancy Swaim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provider1, The view that all waiver recipients are the same has hampered effective use of the waiver for families since waiver services began. It seems these forums are about people who live at home with their families and who receive waiver services.

You are right. For people who share a home a reduction of 5% in the income to the provider is miniscule.

I am guessing that macnchez lives with family. Waiver services are probably for only a few hours a week. These hours were probably never fully staffed. Only a very few providers ever focused on understanding how to staff families and even fewer ever did it at a level that matched the need.

As a result, families have lost jobs, lost health insurance, lost family time, lost opportunities and now they have lost hope of ever getting the minimal level of support they needed. These families would never look for an institution for their children and provide the least costly and best quality of care.

I think macnchez is addressing this concern. Families were not contacted and are not supported in this change.
Provider1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy,
I agree with what you say to a certain extent...If this is indeed the case and Manchez's provider didn't provide the proper services for him or her, then there should have been something done for him or her. The casemanager should have looked into another provider. The fact that this daily rate is what was used over the past fiscal year, means that his or her team must have been ok with the level of services received, or a change would have been made. I know as a provider when I can't provide the hours that someone needs or wants...then it is on to the next provider who can. From my experience, most of the consumers who live with family are facing very little in the way of cuts over what was used last year. Except for some who had heavy hours and refused to use them...They of course lost them based on utilization.

srinne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Scared Reply with quote

Through this forum I hope they we don't get involved in blaming families, case managers, or providers for what is happening. It is true that some families did not use all the hours they had available, it is true that providers did not always have staff to fill the hours needed, it is true that case managers put more hours in a plan than what was needed right now with a concern about the future. What none of us knew was that individual needs would be totally disregarded in determining how services would be paid. Families who did try hard to reduce hours have to deal with an even further cut. For the 83 individuals and families we support that amounted to an AVERAGE of 5.5 hours per week. Let's remember that this change took most everyone by surprise. We need to support each other and advocate with those who made this change with NO input from the people most impacted by it. Continue to call and write your legislators, state officials, CMS, and Protection and Advocacy.
WaiverWatch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Srinne. Thanks for your post.

It is only through a dialogue such as this that we can come to appreciate everyone's perspectives. We must continue to focus our energy on action that will affect positive change. For example, it's not clear why the state backed off on the provider choice issue--perhaps they came to a better understanding of the federal regs, or just maybe they are beginning to hear our concerns.

I can tell you this: though they have yet to post, people at the state level are reading these messages, and the word continues to spread. So I encourage those who have something to say, to summon the courage and say it. We're all listening.

-WW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Let's Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: