WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVOCACY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanga61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: ADVOCACY Reply with quote

To actively support the idea that People with Disabilities belong at home and in their community with adequate services to assure their health and safety please do the following:

1. Become informed about the reductions to services that will occur as a result of the reduction in payment effective November 1, 2005. Talk to families, state officials, providers and case managers to get information about this. Carefully review the Notice of Action for your son or daughter or loved one to determine what it will mean to them.

2. If the cut in payment is significant, then write a letter to educate others about your son or daughter and the needs he/she has for services, and the way in which necessary services to maintain health and safety are no longer accessible as a result of the reduction in payment to providers.(See sample letter below)

3. Make ten copies of the letter and mail to ten people who might be able to make a difference in the life of your son or daughter. The addresses for Governor Daniels, Secretary Roob, Senator Bayh, Senator Lugar and your local representatives to Congress and the Indiana General Assembly can be found in the Resources topic.

4. Email or mail or hand deliver a copy of your letter to the local newspaper and television station that carries local news for you. Email or mail a copy to Indianapolis television stations since these stations influence State Government.

5. When finished, pat yourself on the back for being a good citizen and speaking up for people who are unable to speak loudly and clearly for themselves.

SAMPLE LETTER: You can write as much or as little as you want to express your feelings about the cuts in funding. Here is a sample letter if you need help in getting started. Describe your loved one and his needs in as much detail as needed to make the reader understand the need.

Your Name
Address

Dear _____________________ (Governor Daniels, for example)

Introduce the person: Example: My son is 33 years old and has autism. He lives with me in SomeTown, Indiana. He needs assistance to be sure that he can bathe, dress and eat because he is easily distracted and needs consistency and routines in his day. He needs help throughout the day because he is unable to be independent in any activities.

Explain the cut: Example: My son had 5 hours of assistance each day and with the reduction in payment to take effect on November first, there is $30.00 less a day for him. Before he had about $90.00 a day. The provider cannot send the same level of staffing support with a cut of this magnitude.

Explain the history: Example: I was not informed of this until after the Notice of Action from the State was mailed to me from my Case Manager. I was not part of any decision about this cut. My son's needs are still the same.

Explain your request: Example: I don't know how to get help to make people who made this decision understand how devastating this is to my son, and to his family. Please help me to get the money restored to his waiver so he can continue to get the necessary services to help us assure his health and safety.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your signature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Action! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: