WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Starting

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cjhelser



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: It's Starting Reply with quote

Some of you may have already read the new report......but wanted to let everyone know that "it's starting." People with developmental disabilities under the waiver program are not receiving the supports they need since the 11/1/05 Annual Plan project. We all have said that disasters are going to happen i.e. injuries, illness, deaths. Well, in northcentral Indiana, a consumer stabbed and nearly killed a support staff person. The team has been telling the state for months, this consumer had violent behaviors and needed intense staffing to protect the consumer and others. The state ignored this information per the needs of the consumer and went for the $$$$ instead. Now we have a staff person in intensive care with a knife wound to the chest. It's starting IFSSA, Mitch Roob, Peter Bisbecos, John Dickerson of ARC and rest of you bloated bureacrats......how do you look at yourselves in the mirror?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Provider1



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Starting Reply with quote

cjhelser wrote:
Some of you may have already read the new report......but wanted to let everyone know that "it's starting." People with developmental disabilities under the waiver program are not receiving the supports they need since the 11/1/05 Annual Plan project. We all have said that disasters are going to happen i.e. injuries, illness, deaths. Well, in northcentral Indiana, a consumer stabbed and nearly killed a support staff person. The team has been telling the state for months, this consumer had violent behaviors and needed intense staffing to protect the consumer and others. The state ignored this information per the needs of the consumer and went for the $$$$ instead. Now we have a staff person in intensive care with a knife wound to the chest. It's starting IFSSA, Mitch Roob, Peter Bisbecos, John Dickerson of ARC and rest of you bloated bureacrats......how do you look at yourselves in the mirror?


So what is your solution...Throw more money at the situation??? I think that is why we are all in this situation to begin with. Did this consumer have a behavior plan...was there a way to amp up staffing without increasing costs...what are the paticulars behind the behavior...was the staff following the behavior plan...was there any attempt to have the consumer see a psychologist or psychiatrist to use medications to control the behaviors...All of these are valid question which you don't even address. It makes a great story to point out how the system doesn't work because there isn't enough money to throw at this consumer's problems...But I think if you want to blame someone for that blame the previous administration. They are the ones really to blame.

_________________
Provider1...Crusading for what is right all the time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cjhelser



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Your Answer Reply with quote

Raising costs no.....but reducing funding to persons with disabilities is not the answer. All your cute questions per BSPs, implementation of BSP are old and useless......you must be a state employee! You live in an imaginary world.....how do you increase staffing without increasing costs to the provider? Do you operate a business? Must not. The answer to your question is this simple......let the free, "competitive" market work. Free market means better stuff and less cost. The government is notorious for "forcing" consumers and businesses into what they think is best which is usually wrong. Even the consolidation of CM services is ludicrious......government can't produce efficiency. It never has. The free market with small businesses competing for consumers/the market is the only way to create more efficient, cost effective products and services. But to have business wanting to "invest" their money into a market, you have to have a desireable market. The waiver program being stifled by the government with pricing fixing does not make a desirable market for new investors and even past investors. No matter how you want to look at it....human services is a business. And to ensure the best services possible to consumers, you have to let the free market take over and keep government out of it. Additionally, the old social worker mentality does not help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Provider1



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Answer Reply with quote

cjhelser wrote:
Raising costs no.....but reducing funding to persons with disabilities is not the answer. All your cute questions per BSPs, implementation of BSP are old and useless......you must be a state employee! You live in an imaginary world.....how do you increase staffing without increasing costs to the provider? Do you operate a business? Must not. The answer to your question is this simple......let the free, "competitive" market work. Free market means better stuff and less cost. The government is notorious for "forcing" consumers and businesses into what they think is best which is usually wrong. Even the consolidation of CM services is ludicrious......government can't produce efficiency. It never has. The free market with small businesses competing for consumers/the market is the only way to create more efficient, cost effective products and services. But to have business wanting to "invest" their money into a market, you have to have a desireable market. The waiver program being stifled by the government with pricing fixing does not make a desirable market for new investors and even past investors. No matter how you want to look at it....human services is a business. And to ensure the best services possible to consumers, you have to let the free market take over and keep government out of it. Additionally, the old social worker mentality does not help.


Guess again...I am a provider...I run a large Waiver Services Program. have been in the mix for about ten years. I have seen case managers put as much money into a plan of care that they could...why...because they could and it was what the consumer "NEEDED" Computers and Vacations bougth for consumers with CETA money...Hugely inflated plans of care because parents and consumers have been told that if we don't inflate the plan of care now, you may lose the hours next year. Parents buy into that stuff. If you think my questions are cute and baseless then I worry about what that says about the CM services. As a provider these are the first things that we do to try to prevent things like this happening. We don't just throw money after the problem. We try to resolve the issues not overstaff the consumer. I don't work for the state...but I support a lot of what is being done here...because for 15 years we had nothing but tax and spend management of states budget. This is what happens...eventually it catches up with the state.

_________________
Provider1...Crusading for what is right all the time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BGraves



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provider1, as a case manager I have a question for you regarding these case managers who inflated budgets and bought computers etc. Did you ever report these activities to BQIS or BDDS? Did you do anything to prevent these case managers from abusing the system and misleading parents and consumers? If you ask me, people letting providers, whether they are case managers, behavior consultants, residential providers, or whatever abuse the system is what catches up with the state. You can support the recent efforts by the state all you want, but just keep in mind, if you did nothing and allowed these case managers to do things like you say, then you are also part of what has caught up with the state.
_________________
Choice is the basic building block of our freedom; lets not ever let that be taken away or limited from those who cannot speak for themselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peoplepersonpal



Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: I take offense Reply with quote

Well said, BGraves. Provider1, if you knew of case managers who were buying computers and vacations with CETA funds, you were as guilty as they were for not reporting this action. I am a case manager who has ethics and would never agree to actions such as these. I would like to think the majority of case managers think the same way. It is too bad you are basing this on the actions of a few 'bad apples'. I take great offense with what was said by you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dmom3005



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to thank the good case managers.

Its easy to see they love their jobs.

Donna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Provider1



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I take offense Reply with quote

peoplepersonpal wrote:
Well said, BGraves. Provider1, if you knew of case managers who were buying computers and vacations with CETA funds, you were as guilty as they were for not reporting this action. I am a case manager who has ethics and would never agree to actions such as these. I would like to think the majority of case managers think the same way. It is too bad you are basing this on the actions of a few 'bad apples'. I take great offense with what was said by you.


BGraves and People...If you remember there were no guidelines for the first year or so that CETA was in use. THese issues were addressed at a meeting with FSSA and BBDS officials...who ever they were at the time...We were told that because there were no guidelines set that these uses were ok. It wasn't until about six months later if I remember correctly that these things were abolished. But yes...I have put my neck out there and reported several CM's for their lack of ethics...Nothing ever happened...I don't mean to be pointing the finger of blame...but merely pointing out that this type of waste occurred and there was little that could be done about it.

_________________
Provider1...Crusading for what is right all the time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group