WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waiting List for Waiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twoboys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Waiting List for Waiver Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could call to find out where my twin boys are on the waiting list for the waiver.
Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shallandersen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Waiver list Reply with quote

During these confusing times, You may want to call your regional BDDS office if you know that number. Check the ARC of Indiana website for a phone number to get a phone number for your regional BDDS office.
Fredrica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Waiting list Reply with quote

Call or email the BDDS person in your district with your sons' names, dates of births, social security numbers, etc. and they should be able to find out for you within a few days.
WaiverWatch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the contact information for the BDDS District 8 field service office (serving Jefferson County):

George Hill, District Manager
Bureau of Developmental Disability Services
200 E. Third St.
P.O. Box 930
Seymour, IN 47274-0930
Phone: 812-522-5859
1-877-218-3532
Fax: 812-523-1160

Good luck to you!
Twoboys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: waiting list Reply with quote

Thank you all very much.

I appreciate your help. I get so confused and frustrated that
I cant think straight and than I dont know where to begin in
finding some help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Dickerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: waiting list Reply with quote

The waiting lists are maintained at the regional office of BDDS. You can generally get the date of application of people being served not where you are on the list. A few years ago, they found problems in giving out where you were on the list - number 4 for example, only to find people with proof of application prior to you and you dropped several numbers.

Here is the latest numbers we have on people served, the waiting list and the dates of application for people being served. These are from last year and we are trying to update the numbers for this year.

Following are statistics, as of August, 2004, of people who are being served by Medicaid Waivers, and information on the number of Medicaid Waiver slots that have been approved by CMS. There are more "approved" slots than there are "filled" slots because funds have not been appropriated to provide the state match for the federal Medicaid dollars.

DD Waiver - 5423 people being served.
5,649 slots approved for 2004

Support Services Waiver - 3693 people being served.
4,591 slots approved for 2004

Autism Waiver - 347 people being served.
550 slots approved for 2004

Waiting Lists

Despite tremendous strides in funding home and community based services, as of August, 2004 there were over 23,470 people on waiting lists for Medicaid Waivers serving people with developmental disabilities. This is a duplicated count; one person may be on all three waiting lists. The unduplicated count shows that 15,500 individuals are waiting for home and community based services funded by a Medicaid Waiver.

People Waiting for Autism, DD, and Support Services Waivers August, 2004

Autism Waiver 2,478
Developmental Disability Waiver 12,797
Support Services Waiver 8,195
Waiting List Total - 23,470 duplicated count
Waiting List Total / Unduplicated - 15,500

The Support Services Waiver is serving only those with application dates of 4/1/2002. The Autism waiver is targeting those with application dates of 4/1998.

Below is the target dates for each Bureau of Developmental Disability Services District for those waitng for the DD waiver. If you do not know your date of application the BDDS office will be able to tell you.

District 1: 1/15/98
District 2: 9/24/97
District 3: 5/15/97
District 4:7/30/97
District 5:3/26/97
District 6:11/10/97
District 7: 6/12/98
District 8: 7/11/97

With the legislature not allocating any new funding for the waiver for three years, there has been little change. the only way of getting a waiver slot is currently through the emergency process of death of a caregiver, family emergency, or loss of shelter. Prior to The 317 plan we did not even have protections for families in these situations. We must address the funding for the waiting list and that will take new money.

There is more info on our website www.arcind.org

WaiverWatch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good information, John, but sobering at the same time.

It's going to take ALL of us (parents, providers, case managers, advocates, FSSA, legislators, everyone) working together to solve the problem of more need than available funding. Across the board cuts in services don't seem to be a solution that helps anyone, if they result in bringing more people on to the waiver but not addressing their needs either.

The ARC site is a great resource for those looking to learn more about the waiver--glad you mentioned it.

-WW
jamlperk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Waiver Waiting Lists Reply with quote

In addition to the waiting lists maintained by the Bureau of Developmental Disabilities, are the "medical model" waivers. These include: Aged and Disabled, Traumatic Brain Injury, Assisted Living, Conversion/Diversion (Nursing Facility Diversions) and Medically Fragile Children's Medicaid Waivers. Those waiting lists are managed by the Area Agency on Aging. (CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions for Marion and Surrounding counties). The Area Agency of Aging also manages the CHOICE waiting list which is state funded. The newest waiver is for Serious Emotional Disturbance medicaid waiver for children who have mental health needs. It is managed by the Division of Mental Health and Addiction.
http://www.indplsbpparents.org
jami@indplsbpparents.org
317-797-4402

Most importantly, I am the proud mommy of:
Christina~12 y.o.Kayla~10 y.o. Jahon~4 y.o. Arianna~2 y.o.
Dmom3005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good information. I have a need to figure
out how to find insurance for my 14 year old. Thanks
to the local Office of medicaid messing up his service
waiver we lost his slot of course its not anyones fault
is the thought. We got put back on the waiting list.

But my husband has been laid off for almost 6 months,
soon to get my son's medicines and pay his medical
bills its going to take $700.00 a month in cobra.

We can't afford that forever. And they wont let us.
We have already been told he wont qualify for other
insurance.

Thanks
shonna42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Can you clarify something for me? I remember being in a meeting about 1 or 2 years ago, cost containment, where I believe Carmella Barrett or Cheryl Waltamire specifically stated that the reason for the deficite in Medicaid Waiver was because the State failed to meet the criteria that the Federal Government required for these programs in the alloted amount of time; and therefore, the Federal portion of funding (66%) was not going to be granted. Are the Waivers being currently funded by any Federal dollars? If so, what is the percentage? If this is the case then isn't safe to say that our State Government is the reason for this deficit?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: